Interview: Tom Botchii Skowronski (Director of Artik (2019))


Having graduated from the short-film scene to the feature-length circuit, director Tom Botchii Skowronski is poised to make an impact with his feature-film debut Artik. With the recent release of the film on Blu-Ray, DVD and VOD from Dread Presents, I sit down to talk with him about his early works, the inspiration to start directing and the film itself.




Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. What was your initial start into filmmaking?
Tom Botchii Skowronski: Honestly, it was probably just making movies with my ninja turtles at home when I was probably 9 or 10. I can remember having a strong interest in documentaries after that and pursuing music-related stories, then lots of music videos. I tried to do a film for a budget of $4 in high school about a guy that can’t die. He keeps trying but he can never get it right. Laying on train tracks, no train. Tries to poison himself accidentally takes amino acids. I called it Four Dollars. It’s being released by Lionsgate next fall... Just kidding.

Me: Growing up, were you always into horror films? What was the start of watching more of the genre?
TBS: Yeah, I can remember a local video chain called All The Best Video, they’d do a special “5 movies, for 5 days, for 5 bucks” deal, and that’s when it all started. I’d rent anything with a great box cover, or even better, a horrible one. I think when I started to get into really awful/awesome b-movies is when the film obsession really kicked in. I found everything at that place, Lady Terminator, Monkey With the 72 Magic, Basket Case 1-3, FrankenHooker, Evil Ed, Cherry 2000, everything anyone could ever want, or never care about was mine!

Me: With a primary focus on short films early on, what did you learn working in that style that you found transferred to your more recent work?
TBS: I think just having an understanding of how to schedule out a day. Once I got that down that was something that really helped with the actual feature filmmaking process.

Me: What particular genre do you prefer working on or do you enjoy working on any particular project that interests you?
TBS: I really love anything that’s dark, and different. So in that regard, there’s no real genre that attracts me more, I just sort of like it all nowadays.

Me: Having worked in various fields in the filmmaking industry, is there anything you gravitate towards as a preference?
TBS: Editing, I find it very relaxing. If I luck out and get to do another movie, hopefully, I’ll get to edit it again.


Me: That brings us to your new project, ARTIK. What can you tell us about the film?
TBS: I think it’s really different from what’s out there, the pacing, the thematic editing, the music. It’s very dark, pushes a lot of topics head-on and doesn’t hold back.

Me: Having also written the story, what was the inspiration to do the movie? Is it based on anything in particular?
TBS: Well, the inspiration came from lots periods and people in my life... working at Disney for a while, my dad, my ex-girlfriend, growing up without ever drinking, loving comic books but hating comic book films, the list goes on and on.

Me: Did having a cast full of genre veterans make it easier during the shooting based on their experience?
TBS: Oh for sure. Chase Williamson is just fantastic, it saved us tons of time having him there and him just connecting to the role of Holton since he knew what was expected of him. Same goes with Lauren Ashley Carter and Matt Mercer. They just knew what to do at all times and had lots of fun. Jerry was great in that capacity too.

Me: What was the set like while shooting the film? How did the cast and crew react to the type of film being made?
TBS: Just so, damn, cold... We shot in Albuquerque in December. I mean C’mon!! 30 degrees at night, plus a high wind chill. The fact people

Me: Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or never any of the other cast/crew members?
TBS: We moved so fast it was all such a blur, we shot over only 11 days. So the best times were actually leaving the set for me, I just started screaming and drove to the Grand Canyon. I couldn’t believe we actually pulled it off so that’s what I remember the most about it.

Me: Lastly, what are some of the other projects you have coming up you would like to inform our readers about? Thank you again for your time!
TBS: Not yet, maybe one day I’ll luck out and get something else. Until then, you’re all going to have to rewatch ARTIK again, and again, and again, and........

Comments