Interview: Chase Williamson (Actor in Artik (2019))


An emerging favorite in genre circles, actor Chase Williamson has a fantastic resume of roles working with many major figures to make for a future superstar in the scene. On the occasion of his latest film Artik being released on Blu-Ray, DVD and VOD, I talk to him about his early roles and the film itself.




Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. What was your initial start into acting?
Chase Williamson: My pleasure, Don. I didn’t start acting professionally until after college but I started acting as a very little kid in plays and started taking improv classes when I was probably nine or so. I was super focused on theatre and speech in high school and then got my BFA in Acting from USC. So it was “my thing” as a kid and has always been a huge part of my identity as a human.

Me: Growing up, were you always into horror films? What was the start of watching more of the genre?
CW: Oh yes. I have always loved and continue to love being traumatized by works of fiction. I think the original IT mini-series with Tim Curry was the first movie to truly disturb and terrify me, but I had an older brother who had already introduced me to Jason by that point so I was pretty much all in.

Me: With an early focus working with genre leaders early on, what did you learn working with people like Don Coscarelli, Adam Green and Adam Wingard that you found transferred to your more recent work?
CW: All three of those guys are so genuinely talented and creative and know exactly the kinds of things they want to make but are also super humble and honest, hard-working people. So getting to work with artists of that caliber and getting to know them on a personal level has taught me a lot about what’s important and what’s not in terms of making great stuff and staying focused and motivated through adversity. But I also learn a lot from working with first-time filmmakers. Tom Botchii had never directed a feature before ARTIK and I would never have known as an actor, but on a personal level, it was exciting to get to watch him navigate that process.

Me: What particular genre do you prefer working on or do you enjoy working on any particular project that interests you?
CW: I’m always hungry to explore new territory and work in different realms than I have before. I love acting in genre films because the stakes are so astronomically high. Artik gave me the opportunity to really explore all of those things.

Me: Is there any specific type of character you prefer playing?
CW: I love playing smart people but I also LOVE playing dumb people. So I guess not, no.


Me: That brings us to your new project, 'Atrik.' What can you tell us about your character in the film, Holton?
CW: Holton is a survivor of some serious childhood trauma. He’s completely sober and newly vegan, attends Al-Anon meetings and works as a welder. Then he meets a young boy played by the excellent Gavin White who he identifies as showing signs of trauma and possibly abuse. So he follows his gut which leads him to the title character, Artik, who is a serial killer with a farm full of feral children and a barn full of gorgeously hand-drawn comic books as well as a terrifying death chair.

Me: What specifically drew you to the role?
CW: It was a chance to play a character in a totally different wheelhouse and in a totally different realm than anything I’d done before, both physically and emotionally. The world Tom created was so specific and interesting and the character looked, behaved and operated in different ways than any character I’d played on screen before. It’s rare to have someone believe in you enough to give you the opportunity to work against what they’ve seen you do before so I am super grateful to Tom and the producers for taking that chance and trusting me to do that.

Me: What kind of preparation do you take to get into the character? Once on set, what do you have to do to stay within that mindset?
CW: It depends what we are shooting that day but for the most part, I try to get as specific as possible in prep and generate enough of a solid foundation for the character so that once I get to set I can trust myself to get out of my head and just be in the moment. I don’t usually force myself to stay in whatever the imaginary circumstance is in between takes. Movies are such a team effort and I don’t like feeling isolated from the team, so for me, I think switching it on and off is an important skill that I’m continuing to develop. But when you’re strapped to a freezing metal torture chair in between setups like Matt and I were in ARTIK it is pretty hard not to stay in it. Which, you know, can lead to great stuff, so whatever works!

Me: What was the set like while shooting the film? How did the cast and crew react to the type of film being made?
CW: The set was super professional and fun. The crew was fantastic and Tom is such a great guy to work with, it was a blast to go to work every day and I felt very provided for in terms of all the tools I needed to do my job well. Jerry, who plays Artik, was also a producer on the film and went out of his way to make sure that everyone was taken care of while giving a great performance himself. It was a pleasure to be a part of.

Me: Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or any of the other cast/crew members?
CW: Matt Mercer, Lauren Ashley Carter and I ate at Applebee’s almost every night. I was covered in badass fake tattoos and I really felt like a different person and like people were interacting with me differently. I was staying next to a WalMart and went in there a few times with all my tats on and I felt a palpable vibe AND I LIKED IT. Now I have several tattoos IRL.

Me: Lastly, what are some of the other projects you have coming up you would like to inform our readers about? Thank you again for your time!
CW: I just finished up Season 3 DONE DISAPPEARED, the podcast I created. I also just put out a three-part podcast called MANCHESTER BY THE SEA! THE MUSICAL, which is exactly what it sounds like. And I have a couple of movies premiering in the next few months, including GREENLIGHT which Graham Denman directed and premieres at Shriekfest in LA. That’s about it for now! Thank you so much for your questions, it was a pleasure.

Comments