Interview - Dale Miller (Actor in Stranded (2019))


One of a handful of emerging indie talents in the scene, actor Dale Miller is slowly becoming one of the go-to stunt-actors that is making a name for himself in various projects which includes Shawn Burkett's upcoming Bigfoot film Stranded. Now, as it comes time for the film to go into the crowdfunding route, I talk to him about his career and the purpose he'll undertake on the film.


Me: Hello, and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, what got you into making movies in general?

Dale Miller: No problem thanks for having me. Well, I have been in martial arts on and off for most of my life. I am a big Bruce Lee fan and wanted to follow in his shoes as much as I could back then, as did all the other kids that saw his movies. Years later, my karate teacher Grandmaster John W. Mason had a son that was doing a film called “The Detail” and I was brought in by him to do the big fight scene. So that was the spark that got the flame going.

Me: Were you always into the genre? What films got you into the genre?

DM: Absolutely I was. It was horror and action flicks. I think that’s why now I love to blend the two. Hard to say what films got me to love horror. I mean I loved Friday the 13th and Halloween but also films like The Gate, Aliens all of them, The Omen, The Exorcist, The Thing, Night of the Living Dead. I mean I could go on all day.

Me: When did you realize the passion for stunt-work and coordination?

DM: I am a physical actor and lover of action. There are very few films made that are without the need of a stunt performer. I got that bug by watching The Fall Guy and Smoky and the Bandit when I was a kid and let’s not forget Enter The Dragon with all the great fight scenes. Stunt Coordinators are my true heroes. They direct, set up, and execute some of the most beautiful scenes on film or TV. So, although I coordinate some stuff, I do not put myself in that class as of Michael R Long or Rawn Hutchinson who are mentors and living legends. I am still learning and that’s the fun part for me.

Me: What would you say is the main calling that has been a hallmark of your career?

DM: I am a stunt actor. People say what’s that? That means you can call me to set as an actor or as a stunt performer or if you need both. This makes me valuable to any set because I can do both at the highest level. What does that mean you ask, means I do my job without costing production extra money lol.

Me: Is there any specific stunt you may not necessarily enjoy executing but find it comes easy? Is there any setup that you always feel a little uneasy about performing?

DM: Pratfalls, a Pratfall is a basically fall on your butt or trip. You do lots in a fight scene. They are easy but because they are, we as performers tend to get bruises and fingers jammed because we have done them a million times and think we won’t get hurt. The last part of this question is easy. If I or anyone I am working with feel uneasy or unsafe doing a stunt, we simply don’t do it. It's not worth it.

Me: Having worked as both stunt-work and acting, do you have any preference towards one or the other?

DM: I love them both equally. As an actor, I get to bring a character to life. I also get to set in a better trailer and get more recognition lol. As a stunt guy I get to also challenge myself and help with creating the vision of the movie while hanging out with the stunt department, they truly are the coolest people on set.


Me: So that brings us to your new film 'Stranded,' where you perform both aspects. What can you tell us about your character Joel?

DM: Joel is a kind soul that takes no shit. He loves to make people laugh and feel good but don’t piss him off. He is quick with a joke and a hug, but just as quick with a cussing and a slap. He has tried to mend thing and pull the family back together for years but with no success. He is the oldest and feels like it’s his responsibility. So, when the action starts, he will do anything to save what family he has left.

Me: What specifically drew you to the role?

DM: First it was to work with Shawn Burkett! We worked together on a Tory Jones film called Angel. We both had many jobs on that film and loved it, but this will be my first time with him as director. Then he said BIGFOOT, so I was like yes! Then he tells me about the story having heart and action and again I said yes!

Me: When acting, what kind of preparation do you take to get into the character? Once on set, what do you have to do to stay within that mindset?

DM: Everyone has there own thing they do, for me, I learn the script inside and out. Once I do that then my creative side can take over and make magic. I try not to have any preconceived notions on what I want to do in a scene, or I try not to control it. I want it to be organic and real, so I am just present reacting naturally. I don’t feel the need to stay in character on set all day. Some do and there nothing wrong with that, it works for them. I like to have fun and that’s just not how I can do it. Now that’s not the case on every take, sometimes I need a second to get the correct emotion I want my character to present, but that’s only a crying scene lol.

Me: With the stunt-work planned, do your skills translate into the creature feature realm that Shawn has planned?

DM: Honestly, I can’t think of a film like this that has not used stunts. If there is one, then it probably goes something like this. “Guy sees the creature, creature sees the guy, the end”. Or it's just a bunch of swing arms and falling out of frame. So yes, stunts are needed in any and all films of this nature to make it watchable. No one wants to see a sasquatch run through the wood pushing people over and run off lol.

Me: Lastly, do you have any other projects coming up you'd wish to tell our readers about? Thank you again for your time.

DM: Yes, Tory Jones is back with the highly anticipated sequel “The Wicked Ones” the follow up to the award-winning film “The Wicked One.” I will reprise my role as Adam Lawson and serve as the films Stunt Coordinator as well. Not much I can give out at this time but, from what I know it's going to be crazy good and extremely WICKED!

To check out their Indiegogo campaign, check it out HERE.

Comments